One of the first sights that can be seen on reaching Alcúdia are its impressive city walls. Their construction dates back to 1298, when King James II decided that the Muslim farmstead of Alcúdia would be constituted as the “Vila d’Alcúdia”, an important population centre, and form the head of the parish. This decision was purely in response to defensive and strategic requirements. The construction of the walls began during his reign and finished during the reign of Peter III (The Ceremonious) of Aragon in 1362.
The medieval wall has an irregular polygonal shape, formed of 26 towers plus 4 main entrances: Porta de Mallorca (or Porta de Sant Sebastià) to the south and Porta del Moll (or Porta de Xara) to the north. In fact there used to be 3 main gates, all linked by the wall: the two already mentioned to the north and south, and that of the Porta de la Vila Roja to the north-west. The entire enclosure was built with sandstone blocks (marès), occasionally using the same stones that had been dug out from the moat and cemented together with mortar and lime.
At a later date, a fourth gate was opened called La Portella, situated right beside the Church of Sant Jaume, which was reached along the present-day street called Calle de Sant Jaume.